13 Road Trips Every Guy Must Take In His Lifetime
1. The destination-unknown weekend. Bring your girl, your wallet, and your sense of adventure, Uncharted territory is the ultimate aphrodisiac.
2. The border hop. Crossing state boundaries carries all the prosaic ceremony a tollbooth can offer. Which is to say, none. But cross into Tijuana, Mexico, from San Diego and you'll develop an appreciation for how different life can really be over the fence.
3. The one-way voyage. You leave your life behind, say goodbye to your friends, and set out into the world to find fame, fortune, or some combination of the two in a place you never thought you'd call home. They don't make a GPS for this kind of trip, You navigate by the pull of your gut,
4. The coast-to-coaster. Yes, it takes time. It takes money. But here's why it's essential: You will meet one unforgettable girt and never see her again. You will almost land in jail. And best of all, you will collect more immortal memories than you will bugs on your windshield.
5. The urban zigzag. Doesn't matter in which city: New York, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco. Just drive through it, fast, at 3 a.m. You'll feel like you own the place.
6. The European weekend. Pick one grand city: Paris, Prague, Berlin, Barcelona, Rome, London, leave Thursday. Return Monday. Pack just one small backpack. It's much harder to hate the world once you've actually seen it.
7. The grid skip. Go anywhere beyond the reach of city lights and cell towers. Preferably, it requires starting a fire from scratch, catching dinner, and not showering--things every guy should be able to do if pressed.
8. The jam session. Jerry's gone, but the nomadic, roving utopia pioneered by Deadheads can stilt be found on a minitour circuit. Fill your trunk with provisions and follow your favorite band for as long as vacation time allows. There's something pure, noble, and essential about a live-music tour in outdoor venues.
9. The long goodbye. Letting your grandfather die with dignity doesn't mean FedEx-ing flowers to his nursing home every Friday. When you care enough to give the very best, give yourself.
10. New Orleans. Because it's still there.
11. The three-ballpark trip. Try Baltimore (Camden Yards) to New York (Yankee Stadium) to Boston (Fenway Park), if you're on the East Coast; Cincinnati (Great American Ball Park) to Chicago (Wrigley Field) to St. Louis (Busch Stadium) in the Midwest; and Seattle (Safeco Field) to Oakland (McAfee Coliseum) to San Francisco (AT&T Park) on the West Coast.
12. The test track. There's something empowering about identifying a killer stretch of road, learning its nuances, and wearing grooves in the asphalt.
13. The reconciliation. Against all reason, you set out to win her back, showing up on the doorstep in her new town, new dorm, or new apartment. If you succeed, you get the girl. If you fail, at least you've teamed how strong your will can be when you're reaching for something you really want.